www.astonalumni.org (the “Website”)
The Website is not moderated. The University will not be responsible as author, editor or publisher of any material submitted to the Website and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the Website by any person in contravention of this AUP. We reserve the right to promptly remove, or to disable access to, any material which we deem to be potentially defamatory of any person, unlawful or in violation of any third party rights or any other part of this AUP.
These Content Standards apply to any and all material which you publish, display or transmit via the Website. Material published, displayed or transmitted via the Website includes web content, e-mail, bulletin board postings, chat and any other type of posting, display or transmission that relies on the Internet. T he Content Standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The University will determine, in its discretion, whether material published, displayed or transmitted via the Website breaches the Content Standards.
We encourage the use of the Website for general networking purposes and for keeping in touch with other alumni. We are happy for you to use the Website as a forum to share with other alumni what you are doing and to a reasonable extent, advertise yourself and your business. However, if we deem that you are making disproportionate use of the Website, or any part of it, to advertise or promote any services offered by yourself or for advertising or promotion of services on behalf of a third party your access to the Website will be suspended.
All material you submit to the Website must:
Be accurate (where it states facts), relevant, truthful and be genuinely held (where it states opinions).
Comply with the law applicable in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted.
You may not use the Website to:
- Publish, display or transmit material which is defamatory of any person, obscene, offensive, hateful, malicious, menacing, inflammatory, or fraudulent or creates a risk to a person’s safety or health.
- Publish, display or transmit material via the Website which involves theft, fraud, drug-trafficking, money laundering, terrorism or is otherwise illegal.
- Promote illegal activity, violence or sexually explicit material; or, promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Engage in illegal, abusive or irresponsible behaviour or to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Disclose the name, address, telephone, mobile or fax number, e-mail address or any other personal data in respect of any individual without their express permission.
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person.
- Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence, or be in contempt of court.
- Impersonate any person (or member of University staff), collect information by deceit, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or the University or its staff.
- Advocate, promote, incite any third party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act.
- Send unsolicited e-mails (“spam”) or bulk commercial e-mail.
- Send any virus or other contaminating program.
BREACH OF THIS AUP
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Website.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any material already posted on the Website.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of this AUP. The actions described above are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
You may not use the Website to download, publish distribute, or otherwise copy in any manner any text, music, software, art, image or other work protected by copyright law unless: 1) you have been expressly authorised by the owner of the copyright for the work to copy the work in that manner; and 2) you are otherwise permitted by copyright law to copy the work in that manner.
You understand and acknowledge that material published, displayed or transmitted via the Website by other users is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such material originated.
The University shall not in any way be held responsible for any material published, displayed or transmitted via the Website and we do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of such content, information or its usefulness for any particular purpose.
You shall remain solely liable for any material you publish, display or transmit via the Website and you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Aston University and its affiliates, officers and employees from and against any claim, liability, cost, damage other expenses or loss we may incur (including without limitation, legal fees) as a result of any material you publish, display or transmit via the Website or any violation by you of your obligations under this AUP.
If you wish to complain about any material published or displayed on, or transmitted to you via the Website please contact the University Data Protection Officer:
Ms Jean Hasson,
Data Protection Officer,
Marketing and Communications,
We will then review the material and decide whether it complies with our Content Standards. We will deal with any material which, in our opinion, violates our Content Standards and will remove any offending content and/or take such other action as we deem appropriate. We will inform you of the outcome of our review within a reasonable time of receiving your complaint.
CHANGES TO THE RULES
We may revise this AUP at any time. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you.